September Meeting Recap
Dr. Naveen Agarwal, PhD provided attendees with a very informative and fun presentation on “The Art and Science of Risk Management”. He showcased how we take risks in our lives every day and then turned this into the risk perspective on projects. He stressed that people come into projects with preconceived thoughts and ideas. Risk perception is different for every person and how during the life cycle of a project it is not a one and done event. This can come from many places both personal and past experience. Risk might need to cycle through many times until everyone can agree to what level is there an acceptable risk level.
Thank you, Dr. Naveen Agarwal, for sharing your expertise and insight! “People do not make mistakes on purpose.”
Please be sure to provide your feedback on the September dinner meeting by completing the electronic survey. Your feedback is needed so that we can continue to improve!
October Chapter Meeting
Please join us for the September Professional Development event on Monday, September 16, at the Aloft Hotel from 6:00 - 8:30 pm. This month’s topic is “The Art and Science of Risk Management,” presented by Naveen Agarwal, Ph.D. This session will be worth two (2) Strategic PDUs.
Please be sure to register by September 7 to receive the early bird discount and by September 10 if you would like to secure a dinner reservation. Remember to login with your PMI credentials when registering in order to receive your PMI_NEFL member discount.
PMI 50th Anniversary
Please join us on Monday, December 16th, for our holiday social and PMI 50th Anniversary Celebration. More information will be coming on this exciting event.
If you are interested in getting involved in the PMI 50th Anniversary, here are some suggestions:
- Attend one of the scheduled events.
- Make a donation to the PMI Educational Foundation to help make a difference in the lives of youth and communities around the globe.
Fall Personal Development Day–Save the Date–Weds, Oct 23
Come and check out everything you have wanted to know about scheduling using MS Project! Don’t just learn how to click, learn how to manage projects!
Cindy Lewis has over 20 years of experience in this software and is the author of Microsoft Project 2019 Step-by-Step.
This event is worth eight (8) PDU's will be held at Nova Southeast University Rm 221 from 8:00AM-4:30PM. For pricing, discount deadlines, learn more about the speaker, directions, and a sneak peek, see the registrastion page below:
Visit Cindy's YouTube video for a peek at what she's offerring.
New Member Orientation Recap
On Thursday, Aug 29, the PMI-NEFL was excited to host our fall New Member Orientation at Maggiano's. About 20 new chapter members enjoyed the opportunity to mingle, network, and learn about the perks and benefits of being an active member of PMI-NEFL.
While getting to know each other, they also got the chance to meet and chat with several PMI-NEFL Board Members. Special thanks to KrishnaPriya Nippani, VP of Membership, for organizing and presenting at this very informative event!
Skillfest is Coming!
If you are in the job market or just looking for an opportunity to network, please mark your calendar for Tuesday, September 24, for our quarterly Skillfest Recruiting event! The event will be held at Dave & Busters from 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
Recruiters will be onsite, and you will have the opportunity to chat with them and other members. The cover charge will include an optional professional headshot photo session, a light buffet, and non-alcoholic drinks. You are also welcomed to enjoy the cash bar, games, and even have a fun evening with the family.
Mark Ledger, PMP
KBR Program Planning & Scheduling Manager, GS-Logistics
- How did you get into the profession of Project Management?
- When I retired from Active Duty in the Navy, I began working in Project Management support with a major Defense Contractor. This company understood that many of the duties I performed as a senior enlisted sailor were very similar to the types of activities and roles of traditional project managers.
- When did you get your PMP?
- Interesting jobs/projects/accomplishments/war stories as a Project Manager?
- I’ve served as PM for a wide range of technical projects supporting the Navy, Army, and Marine Corps. After about 12 years working as a Defense Contractor I worked for 3 years as a Program/Project Manager with a Tier-1 automotive supplier, making drive shafts for foreign and domestic cars. High-rate manufacturing in the car industry was a big change from managing the production of the communications systems for the newest U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier.
- Outside of work interests/hobbies?
- Reading (fiction and non-fiction), watching movies, traveling with my lovely wife and our two Yorkies in our RV.
- Anything else you want to share about yourself / your journey? Fun facts?
- I lived my first 10 years in San Jose, CA (an hour south of San Francisco), the next 10 years near Canton, OH (Pro-Football Hall of Fame), then 24 years in the Navy. I’ve lived in 9 states and visited about 45 states, hence my love of travel. My most unusual work experience was while in the Navy. I climbed the chimney (with a ladder) of the White House, on two different occasions.
Call for Speakers
Do you know or work with a local professional, senior PMP colleague, or community/business leader that you would want to hear give a presentation on project leadership, skills and techniques, or a specific knowledge area within the project management profession? If you answered “yes,” we would love to hear from you!
This month we are focusing on a new Military Liaison volunteer team member, George Brotbeck. Welcome and thank you from everyone at the North FL PMI chapter!
Mr. Brotbeck is a former USAF Reservist and DoD Program/Project Manager and a current Senior IT Project Manager with over twenty-five years of experience in planning and leading global, complex, enterprise-wide business and technology projects.
He’s been recognized by employers and clients alike for his ability to deliver superior project performance and business value and has frequently been called upon to assess and rescue troubled projects.
Throughout his career, he has achieved a reputation for building strongly cohesive, high performance work teams.
PMI Global Conference
Registration for the PMI Global Conference has started! This year’s conference "Progress Made Possible by a Project Manager" will be held October 5 – 7 in Philadelphia, PA. This is a great opportunity to build instantly applicable skills, hear from high-energy speakers and form lasting friendships. Please check the PMI Global website for details.
Recap of July Professional Development Workshop: Embracing Positive Communication Skills to Better Accomplish Your Goals! (8 PDU's)
This full day event, led by Dr. Jim Van Allan, incorporated role playing, whisper down the lane, and performing different types of “feelings” by saying a word to keep the learning fun. Dr Van Allen is a remarkable speaker and well versed at keeping the audience engaged from beginning to end.
Communication is fundamental. However, positive communication can be challenging to achieve. Everyone has a preferred method of communication, and the electronic age has practically destroyed verbal interactions.
Attendees walked away with a better understanding of how important it is to stay upbeat and positive when dealing with sensitive subjects.
If ever presented with a chance to attend a dinner meeting or event with Dr. Van Allen as the speaker, we highly recommend attending!
Dr. Van Allen's bio is below. To learn more https://jimvanallan.com/.
Jim is a Certified Speaker with The Jon Gordon Companies and has been presenting curriculum and material on behalf of Jon Gordon for over 10 years. He is a Professor of Communication Studies with Keiser University where he teaches Public Speaking and Interpersonal Communication courses. Additionally, he holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations from the University of Florida and a Master’s degree in Communication Studies from Florida Atlantic University.
If you have attended previous chapter events, remember to claim your PDUs!
Find a list of PDUs from previous events here.
Find out how to claim your PDUs here.
Thank you to our sponsor, Nova Southeaster University - Jacksonville Campus!
Katrina Houston - PMP
Uche Onyibe - CAPM
Leslie Moore - PMP
Thomas Rock, Sr. - PMP
Partner With Us
The PMI North Florida Chapter is seeking long-term partners to sponsor events, including Dinner Meetings, Cocktail & Learn Seminars, and the 2019 Quarterly SkillFest recruiting sessions
Does your company want brand exposure in a growing market and access to a professional and diverse membership? We would like to hear from you. We are also looking for volunteers in a Director role to act as an Account Manager for each partner.
Interested in Volunteering?
Have you thought about volunteering with PMI NEFL? Here are some of the key benefits of volunteering:
- Gain skills and knowledge outside of your day-to-day tasks at work
- Strengthen and build your network
- Work closely with other PM Professionals
- Earn PDUs
- Have impact and make a difference within the Chapter and the NEFL community.